The Inclusive Agriculture project gives volunteers an opportunity to experience a piece of the Rome countryside while supporting a social integration model and assisting with a range of seasonal tasks. The goal of this project is to maximize production and help with the care of vegetables and aromatic plants in the garden while also empowering the acquisition of professional skills for asylum seekers working with you.
As a volunteer you’ll be working in one of Rome’s historic parks, helping cultivate the vegetable garden, the nursery built inside it, the botanical collection of Mediterranean plants, the urban garden and the laboratory of manufacturing and craft activities, and so much more. This is a hands-on project based on multiculturalism, sustainability and ecology, where you’ll be working in the field often side by side with migrants, refugees and asylum seekers, as well as with people with mental and motor disabilities, the elderly and even with children.
This project is suited to hands-on volunteers who care about functional, sustainable and ecological solutions applied to models of social inclusion. Volunteer activities range according to the season and current tasks but you can expect a range of the following:
- Planting, weeding, watering and general care for the garden which hosts a collection of plants typical to the Mediterranean area
- Cultivating and harvesting vegetables and legumes in the large garden
- Craft workshop activities creating objects of various designs using waste or recyclable materials
- Urban beekeeping and honey production
- Taking care of farm animals
- Multi-ethnic cooking sessions
- Supporting the association during events and with the sale of their handicraft and food products, etc.
- Running playful design workshops for children
- Urban redevelopment interventions, entirely with recycled material
The profits resulting from these activities (when present) go the projects in which the refugees are involved, as well as to other local non-profits associations involved in supporting social issues.
As your tasks will vary based on the season, you should be open to helping out in whatever kind of activity is prioritized while you’re there. This project has a minimum duration requirement of two weeks.Apply now