There’s no need to wait until you’re 18 years old to volunteer abroad - International Volunteer HQ specializes in offering safe and affordable volunteer opportunities for teens in over 13 destinations around the globe.
Volunteering for teens is the ultimate youth travel experience. Since 2007, IVHQ has supported thousands of youth to volunteer throughout Africa, Asia, Central America, South America, Europe, the Caribbean and Pacific. And, over 20% of IVHQ volunteers are under 20. So we know a thing or two about providing life-changing, reliable and affordable travel experiences for young explorers just like you.
Whether you’re looking for summer volunteer programs for teens or want to head abroad with a group of students from your high school, IVHQ can help you make it happen.
Keep reading to find the answer to common questions around IVHQ’s volunteer opportunities for teens, including:
- What are the volunteer opportunities for High School students?
- What age can I join IVHQ? Can you volunteer abroad at 16?
- Can I volunteer as part of a High School volunteer abroad Group?
- Are IVHQ’s teen volunteer programs safe?
What are the volunteer opportunities for High School Students?
Whether you’re looking for summer volunteer programs suitable for high school students, or teen volunteer programs which offer a cultural immersion at any time of the year, IVHQ’s youth volunteer programs range from 1 week to 24 weeks and start from only US$180 .
Volunteers between the ages of 16-18 can travel independently on 13 IVHQ programs, including Portugal, Bali, Costa Rica and Guatemala. Teen volunteers under the age of 18 who are looking to join one of IVHQ’s youth volunteer opportunities are simply required to provide IVHQ with parental consent and two character reference letters in order to participate. You may also be asked to provide further documentation to the local team depending on their chosen project.
Volunteers under the age of 18 can participate on the following programs:
- Bali - Ubud
- Sri Lanka
- Peru - Lima
- Peru - Cusco
- Costa Rica
- Ecuador - Quito
- Ecuador - Santa Elena
- Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh
Imagine spending two weeks contributing to meaningful volunteer projects in Cusco, Peru, before exploring the world-famous Machu Picchu and Sacred Valley in a week-long action-packed Mini Adventure! Or assist the local communities across South East Asia, before experiencing the best beaches in the world on IVHQ’s programs in Bali and the Philippines.
These are just a few examples of the volunteer work for teens and destinations that you can take explore as part of your trip abroad. If you are under 16 and traveling with a parent or guardian then you can choose from more than 40 destinations around the world and a myriad of projects! The world is at your fingertips and you’re about to get started on exploring it all!
What age can I join IVHQ? Can you volunteer abroad at 16?
Yes, IVHQ offer independent volunteer opportunities for teens aged between 16 and 18 years old with guardian consent.
Minors under the age of 16 who are volunteering as part of a group with adult minders or with a parent, guardian or family member over the age of 18, are eligible to participate on all IVHQ program.
All volunteers under the age of 18 need to provide IVHQ with parental consent and two character references and may be asked to provide further documentation to our local team.
Are IVHQ’s teen volunteer programs safe?
IVHQ places thousands of youth volunteers on our programs around the world each year and we are committed to ensuring we offer reliable and responsible high school volunteer programs. We do this by providing the following support and services in each destination…
- IVHQ Local Teams : IVHQ partners with local volunteer organizations in each program location and our local teams are responsible for providing 24/7 support to our volunteers throughout the duration of their volunteer program. IVHQ has a careful selection process in choosing our local teams. Every program that IVHQ offers has been personally inspected by IVHQ staff. We have experienced the programs first-hand, we have vetted the local teams and provided comprehensive IVHQ program management training, so our local teams are well equipped to provide effective volunteer programs and take care of you in country.
- Airport pick-ups : Our local teams meet our volunteers as soon as they arrive to the program location. If arriving by plane, our local teams track flights so even if a flight is delayed, they’ll be there to collect you when you land, ready and waiting in the arrivals hall. If arriving overland (let’s say you’re traveling in the country before your volunteer work starts), our local teams will make alternate arrangements for your pick-up so they can meet you when you’re ready to begin.
- Volunteer accommodation : Volunteers are accommodated with other volunteers in a safe community near your volunteer placement. Our accommodation providers have been hosting international guests for many, many years and are well versed in catering for different dietary requirements and understanding that you’re new to the country! They love hosting international volunteers for the cultural exchange it can bring, so you can be sure you’ll be looked after. Plus, our placements and accommodation locations are continually monitored by our staff to ensure our volunteers are happy and well cared for.
- 24/7 support : When you apply to volunteer abroad with IVHQ, you’ll be connected with a dedicated Program Manager. They’re experts when it comes to volunteering abroad and will help you prepare for your volunteer abroad journey. Once you arrive in the destination you’re volunteering in you’ll be met by the local teams. They’re on hand 24/7 to provide assistance on any matter, from making the most of your time on your volunteer project through to in-the-know tips on how to spend your weekends.
High School Volunteer Abroad Groups
IVHQ specializes in providing affordable, safe and responsible high school volunteer abroad programs for those under the age of 18. These types of volunteer groups include:
- High school groups
- Youth groups
- Peer groups
- Family groups
- Clubs and societies
We have a number of groups that join IVHQ for trips across winter break, spring break and summer volunteer programs for high school students. Our dedicated Groups team can specifically tailor a customized program for you and your volunteer group. Your program can range in duration from 1 to 24 weeks and your group package can include volunteer placement, transport, accommodation, tourist activities and ensuring you have continual volunteer support throughout the process, from start to finish.
At IVHQ, our aim is to immerse you and your group within a new community and culture and support you to contribute to sustainable development projects. We will ensure that you all will have a rewarding, life-changing experience that the entire group can be proud of.
Typically, high school volunteer abroad groups travel with teachers or parents who act as guardians for the entirety of the program. IVHQ organizes the group to work together on the volunteer project during the day and ensures you are accommodated together in the evening. IVHQ can also organize group tourist activities and cultural learning opportunities for you in your free time. Or course, these trips can be catered to any requirements.
“Volunteering in Ecuador through IVHQ was a highly meaningful and even life changing experience for each of our 27 volunteers. Our students were able to actually make an impact in another part of the world, and our volunteers were so moved by the experience that many are planning on returning to Ecuador through IVHQ once again!” Amanda Leslie (Group Leader, Ecuador)