Want to volunteer in animal shelters in Italy? International Volunteer HQ’s Animal Care project offers the opportunity for volunteers to support the welfare and protection of cats in local shelters in Rome. Volunteers gain experience caring for the health and wellbeing of the animals while giving them time, love, and the best chance of being adopted.
The Animal Care project in Rome offers volunteers the opportunity to support the welfare and protection of cats at local animal shelters. These shelters play an important role in managing stray cats, treating and protecting them, raising awareness of animal abandonment and promoting adoption.
As an Animal Care volunteer you’ll help local staff with routine daily tasks. There may be an opportunity to supplement your time by improving the shelter itself, raising community awareness about animal abandonment through campaigns, assisting with minor medical treatment, and supporting the shelter’s social media accounts to help better promote the shelter.
The Animal Care program in Rome has several objectives, all of which are equally important. Day-to-day duties for volunteers help work towards these goals, including:
- Taking care of our four-legged friends (cats) by feeding, cleaning and grooming them
- Providing companionship by playing with the animals and enjoying long walks together
- Supporting local staff of non-profit associations in the maintenance and cleaning of shelters
- Contributing to communication campaigns in support of the shelters themselves
- Raising awareness around topics such as adoptions of animals
- Taking care of cats suffering from particular diseases (such as FeLV), learning how to treat and rehabilitate them
When joining the project in winter, volunteers should be prepared for lower temperatures of between 40-60°F (5-15°C), and come equipped with warm clothing. Clothing that can be soiled and get dirty is also recommended as you will be working closely with lots of animals.Apply now