13 Mouthwatering Meals Worth Traveling For
One of the best parts of traveling is sampling the local cuisine, over and over again in most cases! Not just because the memory of an unforgettable meal will transport you back to that place and time for the rest of your life, but because a meal bonds you to the people you shared it with. Maybe it was that unparalleled beef phở that you stumbled across with your travel buddy in Vietnam, or the simple but delicious meal you shared with your host family on your first night in a remote village in Zambia. It is about more than the food. So we’ve collected some of our IVHQers foodgrams to inspire you to not only eat, but travel, explore and make memories that will be with you for life!
1. Lip-smackingly good Gelato in Italy (or Portugal, as IVHQrewer Ellen found out)
2. Nobody can cook as well as your homestay “Mother” in Thailand, or feed you as much!
3. You’ll never look at a curry the same once you’ve tried a Sri Lankian curry
4. Finish your day in New Zealand off with a platter of cheese and crackers. Oh, and wine!
5. Bali has oodles of noodles and is one of the only destinations that is super vegan friendly
6. You’ll be in a food coma in no time!
7. A tantalizing tagine in Morocco? Yes, please!
8. When you just want options on mass think Cambodia
9. So. Fresh. Sri. Lanka.
10. And it’s oh so easy to buy local produce when you are traveling in Asia. Pineapple errryday!
11. Naples - the home of pizza! It doesn’t get more authentic than this.
12. And then sometimes when you are traveling no matter how good the local cuisine is you just want a little slice of home - aka takeaway pizza in India.
13. And you can share it with the local team on your volunteer placement like this IVHQer did in Tanzania!
Find out more about living like a localand experiencing the culture, customs and of course cuisine of a country on one of our volunteer projects. With more than 30 destinations and over 150 projects to choose from you could eat your way around the world!
Latest Blog Posts
Carmen Liberatore talks about her experience traveling and volunteering in Peru. She was awarded the IVHQ Travel Blogger Scholarship in 2016.
Take this quiz to find out which program is the best fit for you, and your career path…
“Volunteering abroad on her gap year, IVHQer Kelly, was exposed to the school of life. Here’s why she thinks taking a gap year abroad should be a must-do for all high-school graduates.”