Our adventure begins with a morning trip departing from our accommodation between 8:00 to 8:30. We'll hop on a longtail boat and embark on the mighty Mekong River, witnessing the rural beauty of Laos, passing by local villages, fishermen, and children, immersing ourselves in the scenes of daily riverside life.
Our first stop is at Ban Xang Hai, also known as the Whisky Village, where we'll witness the process of making Lao Lao, the country's beloved rice whiskey, and indulge in local delicacies. We'll then continue our leisurely boat ride along the Mekong River to the Pak Ou Caves, limestone caves that have served as places of worship for centuries, filled with Buddhist statues and idols. Our knowledgeable guide will share legends and stories about the caves as we explore.
After the boat tour, we'll head to the magnificent Kuang Si Waterfall, where you'll have time to explore the three-tiered waterfall, walk the nature reserve trails, take a refreshing swim in the turquoise pools, and even visit the bear rescue center. On our way back to Luang Prabang, we'll make a stop at Ban Na Uan Hmong village, giving you the opportunity to experience Hmong village life, meet locals, and witness traditional embroidery crafts.
The next day, we'll embark on a two-day trekking adventure, starting with a transportation service pick-up between 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM. We'll head south to the Xiengngern district, visiting the Lao Loum, Khmu, and Hmong ethnic groups. Each group has a rich history and unique way of life, offering a fascinating glimpse into their cultures. We'll have a picnic lunch in the mountainous region and resume our trek, ending the day with a homestay experience, enjoying dinner and joining a local Basi ceremony.
On the third day, we'll return to Luang Prabang in the morning, giving you some time to relax before the Luang Prabang Stories Telling session in the evening. The captivating storytelling session, accompanied by live music from a Lao Khaen, a bamboo mouth organ, will unveil the tales and legends that shape Luang Prabang's history.
Thursday is dedicated to exploring the rice farming traditions of Laos. We'll visit a Living Rice Farm, where you'll learn about rice cultivation, experience life as a farmer, and try your hand at various activities. You can also relax on the balcony of a traditional Lao rice house, surrounded by rice terraces and organic vegetable farms. Afterward, we'll enjoy a Lao specialty lunch and end the day with a Mekong River Sunset Boat Cruise, witnessing the enchanting colors of the setting sun.
Finally, on Friday, we'll embark on a kayaking adventure to Tad Sae waterfall, paddling along the Nam Khan River, enjoying the picturesque views of Luang Prabang's countryside. We'll encounter challenging rapids before reaching the stunning Tad Sae Waterfall, where we can swim in the natural pools and immerse ourselves in the breathtaking surroundings. A Lao local picnic lunch will be provided along the scenic Nam Khan River. We'll continue kayaking through more rapids before concluding our day trip in Ban Noon village and returning to the city in the late afternoon.
In addition, during outdoor activities, in order to make sure of your safety and security, you need to keep the following considerations and requirements while taking this spectacular experience. You are expected to be on time, follow all the instructions of your local coordinator and local tour guides, be attentive of your personal belongings and valuables, be more mindful of the marine and other jungle environment and use environmentally friendly sunblocks and sunscreen.It is also advised to bring extra cash and your container bottled water at all times.
One day a slow boat cruise to the Buddha Cave and Kuang Si waterfall.
- The morning trip will leave our accommodation between 8:00 to 8:30. Go straight to the pier for the departure of the longtail boat trip and embark on the mighty Mekong. Enjoy the many views from the water, witness rural Laos, pass by local villages, fishermen, and children and soak up the scenes of daily life by the river
- In the first little over an hour, the boat makes its first short stop at the Ban Xang Hai, also known as the Whisky Village. Here you see the process of making Lao Lao, the country’s beloved rice whiskey, and taste the fresh local delights. Why not pick up a couple of bottles for later?
- The boat will take you slowly along the Mekong River to Pak Ou Caves. We arrive at a small boat landing rock where stairs lead you straight to the cave. These limestone caves have been places of worship for thousands of years, and Buddhist statues and idols have filled these natural caves. Hear legends and stories about the caves from your guide and explore the caves.
- At 12:30 PM After the boat tour, we are heading to the Kuang Si Waterfall and also during this trip will have a chance to visit the wildlife at the bear conservation center.
- At the second destination you will have time to explore the three layered Kuang Si Waterfall, walk the trails of the nature reserve and swim in the refreshing turquoise water pools and visit the bear rescue center. Our way back into Luang Prabang we make a stop at Ban Na Uan hmong village where you have the chance to experience Hmong village life, meet some of the local people and see the makings of their traditional embroidery crafts. From here it is time to make our way into town, typically this is between 5:30pm – 6:00pm – drop off at our location.
- After dinner, an orientation will take place that includes briefing on Laotian Customs, rules and expectations, health and safety and basic Language Lessons.
Two days Trekking visit a hill tribe village, and the LunagPrabang stories Telling.
- Your tour experience begins with a transportation service pick up from your accommodation between 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM, we head off our way Road 13th south to Xiengngern district.
- Our Trekking will first visit the three ethnic groups: the Lao Loum, Khmu, and Hmong. The history and lives of each of these groups are rich and remarkably different from each other and from your own. You will have an opportunity to explore these local cultures there.
- After a visit to the village of the Khmu people along the way for a picnic lunch on the top of the mountain, then resume the trek in the afternoon and head to the waterfall.
- The time spent at the waterfalls is about 1-2 hours in each case. There is a main area with a park-like trail and a more natural area in the back, both of which are open for bathing. After the waterfall, we will return to our home stay with the family at 4::30-5:30 PM.
- Dinner will be provided after joining the Lao local Basi ceremony with the family and enjoy the time with your family night.
- Second day trip after 9:30-10:30 we are returning back to the town Luach time at our accommodation and have half a day for some breaks before our LuangPrabang stories begin at 6:30-7:30PM.
- The storytelling presents a selection of folk tales and legends which together tell the story of LuangPrabang.
- The story is told in English with the live musical accompaniment of Lao Khaen- a hand made bamboo mouth organ.
One Day Rice framing Living land and Mekong River Sunset Boat cruising
- At 8:00 AM, we drive to Ban Phong Van about 5 km, among lush rice fields and overlooked by wooded hills and mountains to join in a Living Rice Farm where they grow organic vegetables, salads, herbs and rice and supply leading restaurants and hotels in Luang Prabang. Coming here you will be shown how rice is grown on the farm, experience the life of a farmer and try your hand at some of the activities. Or just view it all from the comfort of the traditional Lao rice house balcony, which is surrounded by rice terraces and organic vegetable farms.
- All the family can join in and there are great photo opportunities. After experiencing the farm, we enjoy Lao specialty lunch in a separate area overlooking their rice fields. We taste typical Lao dishes.
- The second trip begins at 4:30-6:30 PM by the Mekong River Sunset cruising, hangout on the boat with a drink and enjoy a beautiful view of Luangprabang city and feast your eyes on the changing colors of Sunset over the Mekong River.
One day Kayaking to the Tad Sae waterfall and Lao picnic on Nam Khan River
- Our trip begins at 9:00 AM driving on Road 13 south to Ban Xianlong village. From there, we started kayaking on the Nam Khan River for about 1 and half hours on the stream down to the Sae Waterfall.The Nam Khan river valley will provide us panoramic views of Luang Prabang countryside. We will enjoy challenging rapid currents for one hour until reaching Tad Sae Waterfall.
- Each rainy season these falls erupt with life as the extra water from the mountains plunge over the flat rocks. The natural pools at the base of the waterfall are a must for a swim. We will have a break and swim for about one and half hours in Tad Sae.
- Lunch time is provided as a Lao local Picnic along the beautiful scenery of Nam Khan River 12:30-1:30 PM.
- And then after Lunch We will try more challenging rapid currents for 2 and half hours before ending the day trip Reaching Ban Noon village, then we go back to the city at 4:30-5:00 PM
This schedule can be changed and/or amended depending on weather conditions, local conditions and unforeseen circumstances.
This trip runs on the third Monday of every month.
The following are further necessary in order for both the participants, local staff and everyone involved to have a meaningful, enjoyable and safe adventure.
- Older participants or over 65 years are required to have a medical clearance as proof of their physical fitness as they may perform various activities.
- Participants below 18 years old need a signed parental consent as proof of involvement of their children for the program. If possible, accompaniment by an adult is highly advised.
- Due to the length and active nature of this program and as there are lots of outdoor activities under the heat of the sun, a decent level of fitness is required.
- If you have any medical conditions, please email our local team in advance so they can take any necessary precautions and measures.
- Alcohol consumption is strictly prohibited during the week particularly during the outdoor activities.
Laos is a Conservative Country, thus, bringing comfortable working clothes or modest clothing such as long sleeves and long pants offer the best protection during outdoor activities and to protect from jungle insects, at the minimum- clothing should cover knees and shoulders.
You are encouraged to bring with you some precautionary or medical kits, personal belongings that can protect you from the heat of the sun or maybe rainfalls, rehydration sachets or water containers, trekking shoes and the like. You may also bring extra toiletries, towels, extra clothes, swimming attire during island day.
An environmentally friendly sunscreen or lotion is also advised to protect you from the heat of the sun and please carry with you preventive agents, such as mosquito repellents, as well as other medicines for headaches and stomach aches. Moreover, bring Medicines with you especially if you have to take specific medicines on a regular basis.