Volunteer in Africa
Dreaming of volunteering in Africa? International Volunteer HQ has 16 years experience in providing the world’s most trusted, safe and affordable Africa volunteer programs.
Every year, thousands of international volunteers take volunteer trips to Africa with IVHQ, as it enables them to be immersed in vibrant cultures, discover unique wildlife and make valuable contributions to the local communities.
Wondering what volunteer work in Africa is available? IVHQ offers an extensive range of impact-led volunteer programs in Tanzania, Zambia, Victoria Falls, Ghana, South Africa, Madagascar, Zanzibar, Kenya, Namibia and Morocco. From animal and wildlife volunteering to community development, childcare and volunteer teaching in Africa, there’s something to suit all ages and interests.Apply For Free
Why volunteer in Africa with IVHQ?
Whether you’re seeking the best mission trips to Africa, short-term humanitarian trips or wildlife volunteering in Africa, IVHQ’s programs are available year-round and you can volunteer for 1 - 24 weeks. With flexible booking and unlimited free changes, program orientation, 24/7 support, safe accommodation, meaningful volunteer work and everything in-country organised for you, IVHQ offers the best Africa volunteer abroad programs.
Where in the world do you want to make a difference?
”There was never just one memory that was my favorite, there were to many to choose from. My time spent in Africa will always remind me of when I was happiest, theres just something about it that made me feel a sense of belonging I had never felt before. It was amazing and I'm so thankful I chose to go to Arusha. The friends I made were from all over the world and we were all so different, but at the same time so similar we were there with a purpose, all of us. I still talk to so many of the friends I made there, its so amazing. The program manager, Victoria, was awesome I was never afraid to ask questions and she was always there for me and any volunteer no matter what time or what day, not only that she's one of the good hearted people I've ever met. The whole staff really made the visit so enjoyable.”
Where in the world do you want to make a difference?
Common questions about volunteering in Africa
What volunteer work in Africa does IVHQ offer?
Volunteering in Africa in 2024 or 2025 is an opportunity to make a significant impact during a time of need.
IVHQ offers a huge range of Africa projects, which have been set up to tackle the most pressing issues in each region. Whether you want to volunteer and teach English in Africa, support construction projects, wildlife volunteering, or nursing and medical volunteer abroad projects, IVHQ has volunteer work in Africa that is suitable for volunteers with a range of skills and experience.
What are the most popular Africa volunteering opportunities?
- Medical in Tanzania
- Teaching in Zambia
- Wildlife Conservation in Victoria Falls
- Marine Conservation in Madagascar
- Healthcare Outreach & Education in Ghana
- Childcare in Kenya
- Surf Outreach in South Africa - Cape Town
- Wildlife Conservation in South Africa - Kruger National Park
- Coastal and Marine Conservation in Zanzibar
- Women’s Education in Morocco
How much does it cost to volunteer in Africa?
IVHQ makes it super easy and affordable to book volunteer trips to Africa. Our fully hosted Africa volunteer programs start from as little as $20/day! This includes your accommodation, meals, airport pickup, orientation and comprehensive support services that you won’t find elsewhere.
How to volunteer in Africa
Applying to volunteer in Africa is simple! Once you’ve decided which country you want to volunteer in and which Africa project you would like to join, you can apply online. It’s free, only takes a few minutes and there is no commitment needed at this stage. Our team of Volunteer Travel Specialists will then guide you through the next steps to secure your spot and start preparing for your trip.
You can learn more about how to get started here.
What are the best Africa mission trips for 2024 & 2025?
IVHQ offers a diverse range of mission trips to Africa. Choose from 10 of the most sought after destinations across the continent for your Africa humanitarian trip:
- Tanzania - Arusha
- Zambia - Livingstone
- Zimbabwe - Victoria Falls
- Madagascar - Nosy Komba
- Ghana - Greater Accra region
- Kenya - Nairobi
- South Africa - Cape Town
- South Africa - Kruger National Park
- Zanzibar - Jozani and Nungwi
- Morocco - Rabat, Casablanca and Sale
Find out how recent volunteers in Africa got on: Read Tonja’s story from Ghana, about Aysha’s experience in Tanzania or hear from senior volunteer, Julien, about his programs in Ghana and Tanzania.
Is it safe to volunteer in Africa?
Thousands of IVHQ volunteers travel to Africa every year without encountering any issues. We have a comprehensive approach to managing safety and reducing risks across all of our programs, which gives volunteers the knowledge and confidence they need to stay safe, secure and healthy. This includes:
- All local teams are trained in volunteer management, are required to undertake first aid training and ensure that programs adhere to IVHQ’s Risk Management Policy.
- All IVHQ volunteers receive pre-departure and 24/7 in-country support, are required to have travel insurance and are strongly encouraged to take our online pre-departure training which can be accessed for free.
What are the best Africa volunteer programs to include a safari?
If you’re looking to contribute to wildlife volunteering in Africa while experiencing safari and game drives as part of your program, IVHQ’s Wildlife Conservation projects in Victoria Falls and South Africa - Kruger National Park are excellent options.
If you’d prefer to volunteer on a community-focused Africa project and go on safari during your weekends, or at the start or end of your trip, check out these programs:
- Tanzania: IVHQ offers a range of affordable safari tour add-ons in Tanzania, which can be booked after registering for your program.
- Zanzibar: Most volunteers transit via Tanzania making it easy to add one of our Tanzania safari tours to the start or end of your Zanzibar program.
- South Africa: Book a safari trip to one of the surrounding National Parks with our local team once you arrive in-country.
- Kenya: Safaris to Maasai Mara, Great Rift Valley and Lake Nakuru National Park can be organized with our local team once you arrive in-country.
- Zambia: Zambia boasts 20 National Parks, so jump on a weekend safari and book via our local team when you arrive in-country.
Webinar: Volunteering abroad in Africa with IVHQ
Considering volunteering abroad in Africa? Watch this webinar replay where our experts will answer all your questions, give their top program recommendations, and give you tips and tricks to make the most of your volunteer abroad adventure.