Volunteer Summer Camp for Independent Teens in Puerto Rico
Are you 16 or 17 years old and looking to make a meaningful impact in Puerto Rico this summer? International Volunteer HQ’s Summer Service-Learning Program for teen volunteers offers a great introduction to independent travel and service-learning for teens. Teens have the opportunity to participate in July to learn about the beauty of Puerto Rico while also volunteering with local community organizations. This program will allow teen volunteers to fully immerse themselves in the history and culture of Puerto Rico while also volunteering, hiking, kayaking, swimming and exploring their way through the island.
- Only available in July
- Affordable fees from AU$3371 for 1 week
- Includes accommodation, airport pick up, orientation and 24/7 support
Get involved in community volunteering and cultural and educational activities
Discover Puerto Rico’s rich culture and people
Stay at a camp and retreat center in the peaceful hills with your chaperone and local staff
This program is ideal for:
What to expect and how you'll make an impact
The Teen Volunteer Summer Camp is a fantastic introduction to travel, service-learning and the various types of community projects available to solo volunteers aged 16 and 17 and it is fully chaperoned.
On weekday mornings, volunteers work with a variety of different community organizations on different issues in Puerto Rico. During weekday afternoons and evenings planned activities include tours around the city, historical site visits, hiking, kayaking, community speakers, game nights, movie nights, and more.
The Teen Volunteer Summer Camp has one available start date on July 17, 2023.
- Counselors 24/7; 8:1 student-counselor ratio
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Program and safety orientation
- Dorm style accommodations
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner, 7 days/week
- All tours and social activities
- Private transportation to/from all activities WiFi
- Emergency contact number 24/7
Why do Volunteer Summer Camp for Independent Teens volunteering in San Juan with IVHQ?
When you volunteer as a teen in Puerto Rico, you’ll be adding value to the local community, while also developing personally and professionally by:
- Contributing to community-driven volunteer projects
- Learning about the unique cultural history
- Developing your communication skills
- Immersing yourself in Puerto Rico’s culture, food, history
- Connecting with local people in an authentic way
- Discovering Puerto Rico’s beautiful beaches, national parks and cities
- Volunteers under the age of 16 must provide IVHQ with parental consent in order to participate on the program
- Independent volunteers aged 16 and 17 can join this project for 1 week, depending on the start date selected
- Volunteers must provide two character reference letters in lieu of a background check
- All volunteers are required to have adequate volunteer travel insurance
- All volunteers must speak fluent English
Puerto Rico photo gallery
Academic course credit
Gain course credit from your college or university and meet your academic requirements when completing a volunteer abroad program with International Volunteer HQ!Learn about course credit
The Summer Program for Teens in Puerto Rico is based in San Juan. The capital of Puerto Rico, San Juan, is the second oldest city in the entire Western Hemisphere and our launching pad for the rest of the island. Puerto Rico’s rich culture is on display throughout San Juan, from its famous food, to beautiful murals, and lively music San Juan has everything to offer to its visitors. Furthermore, it sits on the coast of the Caribbean and is surrounded by coastal beautification and beaches for everyone to enjoy. There are numerous museums, historical sites, shopping centers, beaches, parks, and nightlife. It’s also a great place to connect with nature on a hike or bioluminescent kayaking tour due to its unique geographical location and makeup.
Arrival and orientation
This project is only available for the week starting July 17, 2023.
After you have registered for the program, please book your flights to arrive at Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport (SJU) in San Juan. When you arrive, you will be greeted at the airport by a member of the local team and taken to the volunteer accommodation in San Juan. This is included in your Program Fee. We recommend that participants under the age of 18 travel internationally with a notarized letter from their parents to support their documentation. If you are traveling in Puerto Rico prior to your program, the local team will pick you up at your San Juan accommodation the day before your orientation.
Volunteer schedule example
Disclaimer: This example schedule is based on the 2022 timetable and the confirmed 2023 schedule will be available in the coming months.
|Sunday, July 18th||Airport pick up, transport to accommodation in San Juan, Orientation, dinner with other volunteers|
|Monday, July 19th||Breakfast, Housing and Homelessness Volunteer Project, Lunch at the project site, walking tour of Old San Juan, dinner out|
|Tuesday, July 20th||Breakfast, Environmental Sustainability Volunteer Project, Lunch at the project site, afternoon at the beach, Hurricane Maria Expert Speaker|
|Wednesday, July 21st||Breakfast, Neighborhood Revitalization Volunteer Project, Lunch at the project site, indigenous dwelling visit|
|Thursday, July 22nd||Breakfast, Education Volunteer Project, Lunch at the project site, historical castle visit|
|Friday, July 23rd||Breakfast, El Yunque National Forest Hike, Luqillos beach visit, dinner out, bioluminescent kayaking tour|
|Saturday, July 24th||Breakfast, reflection on experience, goodbye to departing volunteers, airport drop-off|
Accommodation and WiFi
Participants are accommodated in shared dorms. You will find living conditions are comfortable and you can expect your accommodation to have electricity, WiFi, drinkable running water and western bathrooms. Rooms are comprised of single and bunk beds and participants typically share a room with 1 - 3 other campers of the same gender and similar age.
Breakfast is provided at the housing site every day, and all lunches are picked up in the morning with breakfast or catered. Dinner is provided at the housing site or eaten out following activities.
Due 30 days before you start, or within 48 hours if you register inside of 30 days. Covers the cost of hosting you.
|1 week||AU$3371 Equivalent to AU$482/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- In-country program orientation
- Pre-departure support from your Program Manager
- Airport pick-up
- Personalised preparation tools, guides and check lists
- Access to IVHQ’s preferred insurance and flights partners
- Certificate of International Volunteer Service
- All programs attract a Registration Fee of US$329 (approximately AU$541) in addition to the Program Fee. This covers all pre-departure support services. IVHQ fees are priced in USD but you may elect to pay in AUD.
- A 5% international banking fee is added at point of payment.
- We recommend budgeting between US$100 - $150 per week for spending money if you wish to purchase additional snacks or souvenirs.
Check what's required to visit Puerto Rico
Safety and support
IVHQ follows best practice and industry-leading health and safety procedures, which are regularly reviewed and optimized as part of the B Corporation recertification.
- All volunteers encouraged to complete our interactive pre-departure training.
- All local teams trained on best practice volunteer management & First Aid.
- All IVHQ programs are required to adhere to IVHQ's Risk Management Policy.
- All volunteers have access to 24/7 in-country support from our local team.
Essential country information
|Currency||US Dollar (USD)|
Weather and climate
Puerto Rico has a tropical climate with warm to hot temperatures throughout the year. The average top temperature each day is around 85°F (29°C). Easterly trade winds can cross the island year round. Puerto Rico’s rainy season is from April to November, and the dry season is from December to March. The temperature in San Juan, where our program is based, varies very little throughout the year and can be very humid.