Sports Education Volunteer Program in Cordoba - Argentina
Keen to kick off a new adventure as a Sports volunteer in Argentina - Córdoba? International Volunteer HQ’s Sports project places volunteers in after-school programs where they gain experience working with young people and sharing their passion for sport. The children and teens benefit from the physical exercise and recreation that helps to keep them healthy, active and engaged with the community in a socially positive way.
- Programs start every Monday
- Affordable fees from AU$491 for 1 week
- Includes accommodation, breakfast and dinner, airport pick up, orientation and 24/7 support
Play sports and games with kids and teens after school
Explore the stunning Córdoba region
Enjoy the pool at the large volunteer homestay
Who is this program suited to?
What to expect and how you'll make an impact
In disadvantaged areas of Córdoba, young people who don’t have access to healthy after-school activities often end up on the streets. With IVHQ, you’ll be placed at a Sports volunteer project that aims to provide older children and teens with fun alternative activities. With structure and the chance to create strong support networks, social ties and physical wellbeing through sports, young people will be better placed to build lives with more possibilities and fewer problems.
As a Sports volunteer, you’ll be helping the teams on after-school programs to set up and run sports and games from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM Monday to Friday. The locals especially love football and basketball but you’ll be encouraged to share the sports you like too - keeping in mind the placements tend to have limited equipment and resources. You’re welcome to bring some sports gear from home or buy it in Argentina.
Sports volunteer work can vary, but usually you’ll be:
- Coaching older children and teens
- Helping run sports games and drills
- Setting up games and activities
- Sharing your love of sport
Please note this project takes place outdoors and daily activities will depend on the weather. During school holidays from December to February, volunteers assist on government-run Summer School programs for children, which can include swimming trips and other leisure activities.
Why do Sports volunteering in Cordoba with IVHQ?
While volunteering on the Sports project in Córdoba, you’ll be adding value to the local community, while also developing personally and professionally by:
- Improving the wellbeing of young people through physical activity
- Helping students develop life skills in a safe place
- Practicing your Spanish
- Developing your communication skills
- Gaining teaching and coaching experience
- Immersing yourself fully in the Argentinian culture
- Enjoying the vibrant, lively city of Córdoba
- Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to participate in this program
- Volunteers aged 16-18 are required to provide IVHQ with parental consent and may be asked to provide additional documentation to the local team
- All volunteers aged 13+ are required to provide a criminal background check to IVHQ prior to departure. Those aged 13-17, if unable to obtain a criminal background check, can provide two character reference letters instead
- All volunteers are required to have adequate volunteer travel insurance
Argentina photo gallery
”I just want to say there is an amazing group of people working as well as volunteering in Argentina, and I am so happy I was able to meet and get to know them all during my stay!”
Read reviews from Sports volunteers in CordobaSee more reviews
In the middle of Argentina, IVHQ’s Córdoba projects are set against the breathtaking backdrop of rolling hills and valleys which surround the city. Córdoba is home to Argentina’s second largest university and hundreds of thousands of students who give it a lively, modern flavour. You’ll find great markets, picturesque parks, pumping nightlife and masses of museums, cathedrals and cultural icons just waiting to be discovered.
Arrival and orientation
After you have registered for the program, please book your flights to arrive at the Ambrosio Taravella International Airport (COR) in Córdoba. Your airport pick-up is included in your Program Fee. We recommend that volunteers under the age of 18 travel internationally with a notarized letter of consent from their parents to support their documentation.
When you arrive, you will be greeted at the airport by a member of the local team and taken to the volunteer accommodation in Córdoba. Your accommodation is covered by your Program Fee and includes the night before your program orientation.
If you are travelling in Argentina prior to your volunteer program, we can arrange for you to be picked up in Córdoba on the day before your program orientation. Orientation is hosted by our Córdoba team and begins on the morning of your chosen start date. It covers everything you need to know for your volunteer program in Córdoba – an introduction to Argentina, culture and customs, rules and expectations, safety, travel opportunities, and an introduction to project and placement. The orientation will also give you a chance to meet other volunteers and swap contact details for weekend travel and socialising.
Volunteer schedule example
On your first day of volunteering, you will be escorted to your placement by a local coordinator and introduced to the placement staff you will be working with.
Volunteers will have a morning or afternoon shift, which will last around 2 to 5 hours. A typical morning schedule is as follows:
|7:30 AM||Breakfast at the volunteer accommodation.|
|8:00 AM||Volunteers travel to their placements to join local placement staff. Start time and daily workload depends on the project that the individual volunteer is participating on.|
|1:00 PM||Work at the placement usually ends. Volunteers are free to travel back to the volunteer accommodation, go sightseeing, or do some shopping. If volunteers are taking Spanish language lessons, they will usually do this in the afternoon (or in the morning if they are volunteering in the afternoon).|
|8:00 PM||Dinner at the volunteer accommodation.|
Maybe the rhythm of Córdoba’s famous cuarteto music will call to your feet, maybe you’ll forage for a flea market bargain, take a trip to the Che Guevara Museum, adventure in the mountains, try Argentina’s beloved Fernet and Coke or spend your time discovering the Jesuit Block. Maybe you’ll do it all and more, or just relax in a peaceful park and sip a coffee. In any case there’s no shortage of things to see and do during your free time in Córdoba. But if it’s time for a change of scene, Córdoba’s central location means it’s easy to hop on a plane or jump in a car or bus and visit Argentina’s buzzy capital, Buenos Aires, or pay a visit to the Mendoza wine region or the city of Rosario. If the outdoors are your thing, there’s plenty of trekking, mountain climbing, horseback riding, paragliding, and abseiling fun to be had in the Córdoba region and nearby.
Accommodation and WiFi
Volunteers are accommodated in a large homestay in Rivera Indarte, a peaceful neighborhood, 15 - 20 minutes drive from Córdoba airport, and 30 minutes drive to the city centre.
This two-story homestay has great facilities for volunteers, including a barbecue area and a swimming pool which is available in the summer. Bedrooms have single beds and bunk beds and you can expect to share a bedroom with one to three other volunteers of the same gender. Bathrooms with hot showers and western toilets are shared between no more than three other volunteers, and bedding and towels are provided.
Single or double private bedrooms can also be requested at an additional cost of US$70 (approximately AU$105) per week, to be paid to our local team in Córdoba and needs to be arranged prior to arrival. If you would like additional nights of accommodation before or after your program duration, this costs US$20 (approximately AU$30) per night, which can be paid to our local staff and should be arranged prior to your arrival.
Alternatively, there is the option for volunteers to stay in a hostel in downtown Cordoba, in the heart of the city’s attractions and buzzing nightlife. If you have a preference as to which accommodation you would prefer, please let your Program Manager know.
WiFi is available for volunteers to use at the volunteer house and hostel. You can also purchase a local SIM card with data for an unlocked mobile phone to keep connected.
Breakfast and dinner are served each day at the volunteer accommodation. Volunteers can buy lunch from the restaurants, bars and food deliveries within a 5-10 minute walk from the volunteer house.
If you have any special dietary requirements, please let us know ahead of time so that we can make arrangements for you. Remember that you should be flexible and open to trying new foods and we will do our best to see that you are well taken care of.
Due 30 days before you start, or within 48 hours if you register inside of 30 days. Covers the cost of hosting you.
|1 week||AU$487 Equivalent to AU$70/day|
|2 weeks||AU$810 Equivalent to AU$58/day|
|3 weeks||AU$1087 Equivalent to AU$52/day|
|4 weeks||AU$1365 Equivalent to AU$49/day|
|5 weeks||AU$1643 Equivalent to AU$47/day|
|6 weeks||AU$1913 Equivalent to AU$46/day|
|8 weeks||AU$2438 Equivalent to AU$44/day|
|10 weeks||AU$2948 Equivalent to AU$43/day|
|12 weeks||AU$3398 Equivalent to AU$41/day|
- Breakfast and dinner
- 24/7 in-country support
- In-country program orientation
- Pre-departure support from your Program Manager
- Airport pick-up
- Personalized preparation tools, guides and check lists
- Access to IVHQ’s preferred insurance and flights partners
- Certificate of International Volunteering
- All programs attract a Registration Fee of AU$452 in addition to the Program Fee. This covers all pre-departure support services. IVHQ fees are priced in USD but you may elect to pay in AUD.
- A 5% international banking fee is added at point of payment.
- Additional things to budget for include: Visa, flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check, lunch, public transport to and from your placement each day and return to the airport when your program finishes.
- Recommended spending money: Volunteers in Cordoba generally find US$80 to be sufficient for weekly expenses, including in-country tours and optional Spanish lessons.
Spanish language lessons
Spanish language lessons are available for all levels. IVHQ strongly recommends taking Spanish lessons as they help you communicate and make a bigger impact in your volunteer placement. Taught by professional Spanish teachers and tailored to each person’s specific needs, the classes run for either one or two hours, Monday through Friday. The lessons are arranged with the local team and paid for at orientation. You can choose from:
- 2 hour, small group lessons (10 hours per week): AU$113 per week
- 1 hour, private lessons (5 hours per week): AU$121 per week
Check what's required to visit Argentina
Check out the widget below to find out what the Covid-19 restrictions and visa requirements are for Argentina, based on your country of residence.
Safety and support
IVHQ follows best practice and industry-leading health and safety procedures, which are regularly reviewed and optimized as part of the B Corporation recertification.
- All volunteers encouraged to complete our interactive pre-departure training.
- All local teams trained on best practice volunteer management & First Aid.
- All IVHQ programs are required to adhere to IVHQ's Risk Management Policy.
- All volunteers have access to 24/7 in-country support from our local team.
Protecting against COVID-19:
Volunteers tested for COVID-19 within 72 hours of travel
Health & safety information provided during orientation
Strict disinfecting standards for programs & accomodation
Greater physical distance between volunteers
Essential country information
Weather and climate
Like its topography, Argentina’s climate varies greatly. The climate ranges from subtropical in the north, to humid in the central regions, to sub-Antarctic in the south. Winter, from June to August, is the driest period of the year. The coldest months are June and July and the warmest month is January. Average annual temperatures in Buenos Aires range from 51°F to 83°F (11°C to 28°C).