Eco-Agriculture Conservation Volunteer Project in Peru - Cusco
Love the outdoors and interested in being an Eco-Agriculture Conservation volunteer in Peru - Cusco? International Volunteer HQ’s immersive Eco-Agriculture Conservation project enables volunteers to assist Peruvian farmers in a cloud forest in the Amazon jungle. Volunteers will gain farming experience and learn about efficient practices and environmental sustainability while helping farming families maximise their harvests of coffee, tea and cacao and earn a decent living.
- Programs start every Monday
- Affordable fees from £544 for 2 weeks
- Includes accommodation, meals, airport pick up, orientation and 24/7 support
- Help local tea, coffee and cacao farmers to maximise their harvests
- Discover Peru's amazing cloud forests
- Experience daily life in the Amazon by staying with a local family
Who is this program suited to?
What to expect and how you'll make an impact
Peruvian farmers have operated in the highlands of the Amazon jungle for centuries, and volunteers can now join them. This is an immersive experience where you’ll be based in a small farming community in a cloud forest around four hours from Cusco, helping farming families to maximize their harvests.
As an Eco-Agriculture Conservation volunteer you’ll help with permaculture efforts on coffee, tea and cacao farms and learn about efficient practices and environmental sustainability. The money farmers earn depends on how much they can produce, so your efforts can directly impact their livelihood. You’ll help with seasonal tasks, including:
- Planting seeds
- Tilling fields
- Clearing land for new crops
There is also scope for volunteers to spend time in the organic orchard learning about the various fruits and vegetables or to participate in a language exchange in the nearby village.
Why do Eco-Agriculture Conservation volunteering in Cusco with IVHQ?
When you volunteer on farms in Peru - Cusco you’ll be adding value to the local community, while also developing personally and professionally by:
- Learning about sustainable and efficient farming practices
- Supporting local farming communities with permaculture efforts
- Developing your communication skills
- Gaining farming and agriculture experience
- Immersing yourself in Peruvian culture
- Exploring the stunning mountains of Peru
- Volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to participate in this program and may be asked to provide additional documentation to the local team
- All volunteers aged 13+ are required to provide a criminal background check to IVHQ prior to departure. Those aged 13-17, if unable to obtain a criminal background check, can provide two character reference letters instead
- All volunteers are required to have adequate volunteer travel insurance
- All volunteers must speak fluent English.
Set in the tropical Amazon jungle, volunteers on the Eco-Agriculture project in Peru are based in a small rural farming community about four to five hours away from Cusco.
Arrival and orientation
The program orientation begins every Monday and volunteers need to arrive in Cusco on the Sunday before orientation. Orientation will be held within 24 hours of your arrival.
After you have registered for the program, please book your flights to arrive at the Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ) in Cusco. Your airport pick-up is included in your Program Fee. We recommend that volunteers under the age of 18 travel internationally with a notarized letter from their parents to support their documentation.
When you arrive, you will be greeted at the airport by a member of the local team and transported to the local team’s main office and then to a homestay. Your accommodation is covered by your Program Fee and includes the night before your program orientation. You will be taken to your Eco-Agriculture placement and accommodation after completing orientation in Cusco.
If you are travelling in Peru prior to your volunteer program, we can arrange for you to be picked up in Cusco on the day before your program orientation.
Orientation is hosted by our local team at their offices in Cusco. Orientation begins on Monday morning and covers everything you need to know for your volunteer program in Cusco – introduction to Peru, Peruvian customs, language lesson details, rules and expectations, safety, travel opportunities in Cusco, introduction to your project and placement.
Volunteer schedule example
Weekdays - A typical schedule might be as follows:
|7:00 AM||Breakfast at your accommodation with other volunteers.|
|8:00 AM||Volunteer work begins. You may be planting seeds, tilling fields, collecting fruits, preparing fields for new plants or taking out invasive weeds.|
|12:00 PM||Lunch and a long break before continuing with volunteer work.|
|5:00 PM||Start to wind down by doing less physically demanding volunteer work.|
|7:00 PM||Dinner at your accommodation with other volunteers.|
Because of the remote location, volunteers tend to stay at the placement during the weekends and keep enjoying the immersive experience of living with a local family. We reccommend taking books, games or other activities. Volunteers are able return to Cusco at their own expense.
Accommodation and WiFi
Eco-Agriculture Conservation volunteers are accommodated in dormitory style rooms, separated by gender. Living is rustic but comfortable.
Because of its remote location, there is no WiFi access available on this project.
Volunteers on the Eco-Agriculture project will be provided with breakfast, lunch and dinner each day.
A typical Peruvian breakfast consists of bread, spreads, fruit and eggs accompanied by tea or coffee. Dinner commonly consists of meat, often chicken, soups, pastas, starches and vegetables.
Please note any dietary requirements you have so we can make special arrangements for you.
Due 30 days before you start, or within 48 hours if you register inside of 30 days. Covers the cost of hosting you.
|2 weeks||£545 Equivalent to £39/day|
|3 weeks||£758 Equivalent to £37/day|
|4 weeks||£966 Equivalent to £35/day|
|5 weeks||£1152 Equivalent to £33/day|
|6 weeks||£1338 Equivalent to £32/day|
|8 weeks||£1709 Equivalent to £31/day|
|10 weeks||£2081 Equivalent to £30/day|
|12 weeks||£2453 Equivalent to £30/day|
|16 weeks||£3196 Equivalent to £29/day|
|20 weeks||£3939 Equivalent to £29/day|
|24 weeks||£4682 Equivalent to £28/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- In-country program orientation
- Pre-departure support from your Program Manager
- Airport pick-up
- Personalized preparation tools, guides and check lists
- Access to IVHQ’s preferred insurance and flights partners
- Certificate of International Volunteering
- All programs attract a Registration Fee of £226 in addition to the Program Fee. This covers all pre-departure support services. IVHQ fees are priced in USD but you may elect to pay in GBP.
- A 5% international banking fee is added at point of payment.
- Additional things to budget for include: Visa, flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check, public transportation to and from your placement each day and return to the airport when your program finishes.
- Recommended spending money: Volunteers in Cusco generally find US$100 per week to be sufficient for expenses, such as lunches (except for Jungle Conservation, Andean Immersion, and Eco-Agriculture Conservation volunteers), in-country tours, and Spanish language lessons.
Recommended activities and tour add-ons
We believe that no volunteer adventure would be complete without experiencing the natural wonders of your host country. That’s why we offer Machu Picchu tours, Rainbow Mountain treks and a popular Mini Adventure, exclusively available to IVHQ volunteers in Cusco as affordable add-ons.
Please contact us or your IVHQ Program Manager to book or get more information about any of the following activities and tours.
Be sure to see all the sites in Peru while you are in-country - the Mini Adventure combines the major hot spots of Peru into a 1-week excursion that can be added at the beginning or end of your volunteer program. You will be accompanied by a certified, bilingual tour guide for each trip, using Cusco as your home base between tours. The 6-day program compliments your volunteer experience, without the stress of trip planning. If you would like to add a Mini Adventure to your trip, you can arrange this directly with your Program Manager once you are registered for the program.
The Mini Adventure includes:
- Cusco city tour
- 1-day Sacred Valley + Moras/Moray tour
- Machu Picchu overnight trip with Vistadome Train
- 2-day Lake Titicaca tour
Visit the illustrious Machu Picchu in just one day! This tour includes a round-trip basic “backpacker” train from Ollantaytambo station, bus tickets up/down from Aguas Calientes to Machupicchu, and guided tour of Machu Picchu. Meals are not included.
The 2 days/1 night Machu Picchu tour includes round-trip via upgraded “vistadome” train from either Poroy or Ollantaytambo station, a private room in a 2-star hotel, bus tickets up/down from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, and guided tour of the incredible Machu Picchu site. Meals are not included.
Enjoy a challenging, high altitude trek to the top of Rainbow Mountain, part of Ausangate Mountain in the Peruvian Andes. Also known as “Vinicunca,” “Winikunka,” “Painted Mountain,” and “Mountain of Seven Colors” due to its multi-colored mineral deposits, participants may elect a horse-riding option, instead of hiking. Breakfast and lunch is included.
Enjoy a leisurely half-day horseback riding tour with an expert guide. No previous horseback riding experience is required, and you will spend 2-3 hours riding through the Cusco region in the Andes mountains and visit several lesser-known Inca sites.
How to book IVHQ’s recommended add-ons: When you apply for your IVHQ volunteer program, make a note in your application of the add-ons you’re interested in.
Once you’ve paid your registration fee, your IVHQ Program Manager will be able to book your place on the tour(s) you have chosen and help you organize your trip. Volunteers on the Eco-Agriculture, Jungle Conservation and Andean Immersion projects need to book these trips for before or after their program due to the remote locations they will be volunteering in.
Affordable Spanish language lessons
Fluency in Spanish is not a prerequisite for the IVHQ Peru - Cusco program, however on certain projects volunteer work will be restricted with limited language ability. We recommend that volunteers take advantage of the very affordable language lessons offered exclusively to IVHQ volunteers by our partner staff in Cusco. Past volunteers feel that taking these lessons help immensely with day-to-day volunteer work and communicating with local people. Volunteers interested in taking Spanish lessons can arrange these directly with the IVHQ Program Manager prior to departure. The language lessons are tailored to each volunteer’s current level of Spanish and classes run from Monday through to Friday. The cost is very affordable and offered exclusively to IVHQ volunteers.
- Group Class: 1 hour a day - starting at £49 per week
- Private Class: 1 hour a day - starting at £56 per week
- Private Class: 2 hours a day - starting at £113 per week
How to book IVHQ’s language lessons: When you apply for your IVHQ volunteer program, make a note in your application of the language classes you’re interested in.
Once you’ve paid your registration fee, your IVHQ Program Manager will be able to book your place on the classes you have chosen.
Spanish language lessons are not available on the Andean Immersion, Eco-Agriculture or Jungle Conservation projects due to their remote nature, however volunteers will have plenty of opportunity to practice with locals.
Check what's required to visit Peru
Fill out the quick form below to find out what the Covid-19 restrictions and visa requirements are for Peru, based on your country of residence.
Safety and support
IVHQ follows best practice and industry-leading health and safety procedures, which are regularly reviewed and optimized as part of the B Corporation recertification.
- All volunteers encouraged to complete our interactive pre-departure training.
- All local teams trained on best practice volunteer management & First Aid.
- All IVHQ programs are required to adhere to IVHQ's Risk Management Policy.
- All volunteers have access to 24/7 in-country support from our local team.
Protecting against COVID-19:
Volunteers tested for COVID-19 within 72 hours of travel
Health & safety information provided during orientation
Strict disinfecting standards for programs & accomodation
Greater physical distance between volunteers
Essential country information
|Currency||Peruvian Nuevo Sol (PEN)|
Weather and climate: Peru, unlike other equatorial countries, does not have an exclusively tropical climate; the influence of the Andes and the Humboldt Current causes great climatic diversity within the country. In the mountains, rain is frequent during summer and temperatures and humidity diminish with altitude up to the frozen peaks of the Andes. The jungle has heavy rainfall and high temperatures, with the exception of its southernmost part, which has cold winters and seasonal rainfall.