Our volunteer programs are set up to positively impact people, the planet and wildlife. We are committed to ensuring our programs meet strict social and environmental standards and are run in a responsible, efficient and sustainable way.
Our commitment to ethical volunteering
We are committed to regularly reviewing our impact on volunteers, local communities, our employees and the environment. This gives us the opportunity to find new ways to learn and improve in line with our pledge as a B Corporation and as a member of the UN Volunteer Groups Alliance.
IVHQ was the first B Corporation certified volunteer travel organisation and we remain committed to these principles through a regular recertification process. B Corps pledge to use business as a force for good by ensuring that sustainability, inclusivity and quality remain at the heart of what they do.
United Nation’s Volunteer Groups Alliance
IVHQ is the only volunteer travel company to be a member of the Volunteer Groups Alliance – a global coalition of organisations committed to sustainable development through volunteering. The VGA is closely associated with the United Nations, and our membership ensures our programs align with their Sustainable Development Goals.
What makes a volunteer provider ethical?
The following framework outlines important selection criteria when assessing how ethical a volunteer provider is. We regularly refer to this when reviewing our processes to ensure we are meeting all guidelines and holding ourselves accountable.
- Regularly audit programs to ensure they meet goals
- Regularly review fees and ensure volunteering is accessible
- Ensure all volunteers meet project requirements
- Criminal background check required from volunteers
- Cap volunteer numbers when programs reach capacity
- Ensure volunteers do not replace paid employment
- Implement a Child Protection Policy across all programs
- Actively seek feedback to improve programs
- Train local staff on best practices
- Manage volunteer expectations
- Offer pre-departure volunteer abroad training
- Provide pre-departure and 24/7 in-country support
- Deliver in-country orientation to all volunteers
- Programs support local employment opportunities
- Programs run by local registered organisations who understand the needs of the community
Our collaboration with local organisations
International Volunteer HQ provides affordable and locally led volunteer programs by working with NGOs and organisations based in each of our destinations. We believe this is the best approach to international volunteering because:
Local organisations are in the best position to see where volunteers are genuinely needed. The staff in these organisations are locals - they can speak the local language, know the area inside out and are best placed to provide guidance, advice, supervision and support to volunteers.
Collaborating with local organisations reduces the costs associated with hosting volunteers, making programs more affordable. This means we can help more people to volunteer, and as a collective, we can deliver greater impact.
Working with local organisations helps boost the local economy and community. IVHQ program fees go directly to the local organisation hosting volunteers, helping support local people.
Every program we offer has been carefully selected by IVHQ. We regularly inspect all programs first-hand, assess the local teams, provide comprehensive training to all of our in-country hosts and ask all volunteers for feedback. This process ensures that all IVHQ programs are run sustainably and deliver the intended impact to the local community and environment.Meet IVHQ’s local teams