Traveling on a budget? Don’t want your bank balance to stop you from exploring the world in the most rewarding way? International Volunteer HQ makes traveling abroad more affordable for budget-conscious travelers, while enabling you to have a more immersive and regenerative travel experience. This ensures you can make the most of your travel budget without compromising on the quality of your experiences.
To make it easy to budget for your trip overseas, IVHQ offers all-inclusive volunteer travel programs with your airport pick-up, accommodation and meals included. With fees starting from as low as CA$28 per day, you’ll have more money to spend on free time activities with the new friends you’ll meet on your IVHQ program.
How to volunteer abroad with IVHQ
Whether you’re looking to test the waters by traveling close to home, or want to venture as far off the beaten tourist track as you can get, IVHQ has volunteer programs in 40+ countries to suit all traveler types.
Having the adventure of a lifetime can be done in 5 easy steps:
- Apply for your chosen destination and project
- Confirm your place by paying the Registration Fee
- Prepare for your trip with the guidance of your IVHQ Program Manager
- Depart for your destination
- Our local team will collect you from the airport and support you every step of the way!
Already know where you want to travel to?Apply today
Best volunteer abroad programs for budget travelers
Explore the top volunteer program recommendations for traveling on a budget. All of these programs start from as low as CA$392 for 1 week, and the longer you stay, the cheaper the per day cost!
Budget travel refers to a style of travel that prioritizes cost-consciousness and maximizing the value of every dollar spent. It involves finding affordable ways to explore and experience destinations without compromising on the quality of the overall travel experience. Budget travelers aim to minimize expenses by seeking out budget-friendly accommodations, transportation options, dining choices, and activities.
Volunteering abroad with International Volunteer HQ is considered a cost-effective way for budget-conscious travelers to explore a new destination because all of your in-country expenses are covered through the all-inclusive Program Fee.
If you’re looking for the lowest-cost volunteer programs, check out the cheapest volunteer travel programs.
The ideal budget for traveling varies depending on factors such as the destination, travel style, duration of the trip, and personal preferences. However, there are some general guidelines to consider.
For budget travelers, a daily budget of around CA$71 to CA$142 is often considered reasonable. This budget would typically cover accommodation, food, local transportation, and some sightseeing or activities in many destinations around the world. Keep in mind that this is a rough estimate, and costs can vary significantly depending on the country or region you’re visiting.
IVHQ has an extensive range of budget-friendly volunteer travel programs that fit within a daily budget of less than CA$71 per day. As almost all of your in-country expenses are included in your Program Fee, it’s easy to keep within a set daily budget and keep track of your spending while traveling. The per day cost is lower the longer you choose to volunteer abroad with IVHQ, for example, if you stay for 1 week volunteering in Nepal, the cost per day is CA$65, however, if you stay for 24 weeks, the per day cost drops to only CA$28 per day.
When determining a realistic budget for traveling, it is important to research the cost of living in your destination(s) and factor in any specific activities or attractions you plan to include in your travels. Some countries or cities may have a higher cost of living, making it necessary to adjust your budget accordingly.
Budgeting for travel should also include some extra funds for unforeseen expenses or emergencies. It’s wise to have a contingency fund of at least 10-20% of your overall travel budget to handle unexpected situations.
Traveling the world on a budget is definitely possible with some careful planning and smart choices. While budget travel is typically associated with backpacking, there are other affordable ways you can explore the world without breaking the bank. For example, volunteering abroad with IVHQ is one of the most cost effective and safe ways to travel the world on a budget. When you volunteer abroad with IVHQ, your accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support are included in your Program Fee (which starts from as low as CA$28 per day).
Here are some other tips to help you travel on a budget:
- Research the most budget-friendly destinations: Some of the continents that can offer more budget-friendly travel experiences include Southeast Asia, South America, Eastern Europe and Africa.
- Travel during off-peak seasons: Prices for flights, accommodations, and attractions tend to be lower during off-peak seasons. Consider traveling during shoulder seasons or off-peak times to take advantage of discounted rates and fewer crowds.
- Use the most affordable form of transportation: Using cheaper airlines or traveling via train can be effective ways to reduce travel costs.
- Choose affordable accommodations: Options like hostels, vacation rentals or AirBnBs can often be more affordable than hotels.
- Eat local food and avoid touristy restaurants: Eating and shopping where the locals do is an easy way to avoid overspending on your food.
- Take advantage of free activities, self-guided tours and attractions: Do your research and ask the locals to tap into those off-the-beaten path experiences and hidden gems.
- Travel slowly and spend more time in fewer places: You can often get accommodation discounts for longer stays and reducing your travel between places is an easy way to save money on transportation.
- Utilize travel rewards and discounts: If you can be flexible with your travel dates, set up alerts for travel deals so you can take advantage of the best discounts.
There are several affordable holiday destinations around the world that offer great experiences without breaking the bank.
Here are some of the cheapest holiday destinations to consider: