Regardless of whether you are intrigued by the adrenaline rush of Delhi, or curious about the laid back vibes of Kerala, choosing to volunteer in India with International Volunteer HQ will be the best decision you make in 2023!
India is on the bucket list for many, and not without reason. The culture is intriguing, colorful and diverse and when combined with a vast variety of natural and manmade sights, it keeps even the most seasoned traveler busy. Not to mention this is the land of curries, roti and samosas! On the other hand, choosing where in India to volunteer is not as easy.
To help you decide between the two volunteer programs, we’ve compiled some standout characteristics of the Delhi and Kerala volunteer experiences:
Reasons you won’t regret choosing Delhi…
- The utter excitement and joy of the kids in the slum schools when volunteers come to teach
- The chance to enjoy comfortable apartment living alongside other volunteers, while only being a metro ride away from the hustle and bustle of Old Delhi, spice markets and bazaars
- Delicious food – there are endless authentic Indian food stalls and restaurants to be explored in Delhi
- This is an easy location for weekend trips far and wide, whether you want to visit Goa, Amritsar, Agra or Varanasi it is simple to arrange transport from Delhi
- Four meaningful volunteer projects including Childcare, Healthcare, Slum Teaching and Teaching English
Reasons why Kerala is calling your name…
- The beautiful network of backwaters and rolling tea plantations, just asking to be explored
- Experiencing Fort Kochi, full of old colonial buildings and unique art cafes
- Opportunity to visit world class surf beaches and refreshing yoga classes
- For medical students, there is access to world-class healthcare systems and professionals, providing a unique learning experience in the dentistry and medical/nursing fields
- Helping with the progressive stance of Kerala in enabling equal opportunities for women through providing education in English and vocational skills
- Six meaningful volunteer projects including Teaching, Medical, Dentistry, Kindergarten, Women’s Education and Special Needs Care
If you’re torn between these two locations and would be happy to volunteer in either of them, the climate could make the decision for you!
The summer months in India (April to August) can bring extreme heat and humidity that it can be unbearable for some. The volunteer accommodation in Delhi is equipped with fans, however power cuts are not uncommon. In recent years, Delhi has experienced some of the hottest summers on record, and placements where volunteers work during the day generally do not have air conditioning or fans.
Kerala has more of a tropical climate, with an average temperature of 86°F (30°C) throughout the year, making it a very comfortable destination. November until March can be hot and dry, but not as hot as Delhi is, just more humid.
Still can’t decide?
You could sign up for both programs back to back to allow you to experience the best of both worlds. Otherwise, Contact us to speak with one of our Volunteer Travel Experts about your options or learn more about each program on the Delhi or Kerala webpages.