You are here
International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ) is a volunteer travel company based in New Plymouth, New Zealand. Established in July 2007, IVHQ has grown to become the world’s leading volunteer travel company, working in over 25 countries around the world and placing thousands of volunteers abroad every year.
Statement of Intent
International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ) aims to provide volunteer travelers with safe, responsible and highly affordable volunteer programs abroad. In addition to providing aid and assistance to the countries in which IVHQ offers volunteer programs, IVHQ endeavors to increase education and heighten awareness through not only the skills and expertise taken by volunteers to their host communities and institutions, but also through the experiences and lessons volunteers will in turn take back to their own countries and cultures.
- Make safe, quality and responsible international volunteer travel genuinely affordable.
- Provide assistance to local communities and organizations through providing short-term international volunteers throughout the year.
- Heighten awareness of issues in developing countries through first-hand volunteer travel experiences.
- Provide authentic international volunteer travel experiences, achieved by living and working with local people, communities, organizations and families.
- Educate both local people (through interactions with international volunteers) and volunteers (through volunteer travel experiences and interactions with local people).
- Provide the opportunity for volunteers to experience different cultures and international travel affordably, whilst making a responsible difference.
International Volunteer HQ provides affordable volunteer programs by partnering with organizations based in the countries in which volunteers wish to work. This is extremely effective for a number of reasons:
- Local organizations are in the best position to see where volunteers are genuinely needed. The staff in these organizations are locals, they have been raised in the area and know it inside and out. They can speak the local language, they know the local people, and are in the best position to provide guidance, safe supervision and support to volunteers.
- Partnering with local organizations reduces the costs associated with hosting volunteers, making programs more affordable for volunteers. This means more people are able to volunteer, resulting in higher volunteer numbers, which means more is achieved.
One of the major strengths of IVHQ, is our careful selection process in choosing our partner organizations and the high quality volunteer programs that we offer through these partners. Every program that IVHQ offers has been personally inspected and selected by a manager from IVHQ. We have experienced the programs first-hand, we have vetted the local teams and then provided comprehensive IVHQ training so our local teams are well equipped to provide effective volunteer programs while also taking care of the volunteers.
See the IVHQ Approach to learn why IVHQ has become the world's leading volunteer travel company and how we are different from other companies out there.
Visit the History of IVHQ to follow the journey and growth of International Volunteer HQ.